Formation of the District.
Emerald Bay Service District (EBSD) was formed in 1961 by resolution of the Orange County Board of Supervisors. The EBSD is governed under the Community Services District Law.
Collaborative Services for Cost-Effectiveness.
- FIRE PROTECTION, LIFEGUARD AND SAFETY Fire Protection for EBSD is contracted with the Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA). Emerald Bay has its own fire station and volunteer fire crew.
- SEWER EBSD is empowered to collect, transfer, treat and dispose of sewage and solid waste. EBSD maintains all sewer collection pipelines and 6 sewer pumping (lift) stations within its jurisdiction. The South Orange County Wastewater Authority (SOCWA) provides the treatment and conveyance of the wastewater in South Orange County.
- WATER EBSD provides fresh water supply under contract with the Laguna Beach County Water District (LBCWD). LBCWD maintains all of the water pipelines and administers all billings, connections and disconnections.
- STREETS EBSD is empowered to improve, maintain and repair streets. EBSD's recent projects have provided for the removal and replacement of curbs, gutters and storm drains.
- PARKS AND RECREATION EBSD performs annual weed abatement activities to help protect its residents from wildfires.
- SECURITY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT EBSD contracts with U.S. Ocean Safety to provide beach life guard service and also contracts with the Orange County Sheriff for services to protect the life and safety of its residents.
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
EBSD funds the Emerald Bay community's Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program. This program is set up to help the community manage emergencies from wildfires to earthquakes. The Community is divided into 12 zones with dedicated leaders for each zone. The zone leaders would coordinate with security and other disaster officials during emergencies.
Board and Staff.
EBSD is governed by a publically elected five (5) member Board of Directors. The Directors are elected to four year staggered terms. Each of the Directors serves without compensation, benefits, or reimbursement for his/her expenses. EBSD is managed full time by Michael Dunbar, the General Manager, who handles all of the day to day operations of the District. Administrative and financial support are outsourced as required.